Monday 26 October 2015

Korean English

If someone had asked me before leaving: Do Koreans speak English, certainly I would say that's for sure.. How wrong I was...

Korea reportedly has the highest degree of educating their society. It puts a huge emphasis on learning from an early age. Children, first in kindergarten, then in school and at the end: in high school, spend several hours learning there.. During my trip I was a witness of children in uniforms coming out of the school building about 7 p.m.! Yeah. The whole swarms of young people poured out on the streets. Although it's worth noting that the Asian streets are bustling and vibrant to very late hours at night. The city quiets down about 1 p.m./2 p.m., in contrast to our reality... There 7 p.m. is time for dinner, you can rest for a moment.

Going back to English, I have to admit that I was disappointed. Of course I don't mean something big, but the Koreans are rarely able to say anything in a language other than their mother tongue.  Sometimes it made our communication complicated, but in the end everything ended well. Despite the lack of familiarity of English Koreans gain many thanks to the extraordinary openness and willingness to help. With their help, often with their phones and electronic maps, we reached our destination. Korean streets are not so obvious ... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment